Saturday 14 December 2013

Plans are nothing; planning is everything.

In the words of Dwight D. Eisenhower - Plans are nothing; planning is everything - and it is that time of year again - Yes - the Artisans Square SWAP 2014 has hit - and plans are popping up and peculating in the bloggershere and in the chat forums.... 
Now I posted my mighty fine ideas for my 2013 SWAP and only got a short ways through it before the period ended - but not one to be discouraged for long - I have decided to set myself up for failure to join in the fun of planning again - because that is what I love to do. Set patterns to fabric and dream!!! (and sometimes sew).
Mind you, this is the 3rd totally different incarnation of my SWAP since I first read the rules about a month ago so you can see how fickle my mind is - it gets caught up with new patterns and fabrics that waft my way and so the plan changes to accommodate.... *sigh*
I already have my first item (Stone coloured StyleArc Barbara Pants) cut out, but sewing has been put on hold whilst I prepare for Christmas visitors but I do hope to have them sewn up before boxing day as this year's swap is very flexible and allows one item to be sewn up prior (and one item to be purchased and one item to be sewn up before the announcement of the rules).
Now you may well ask how this fits in with my garment of the month for Sarah Liz's challenge. Well the stone coloured Bab Pants were originally going to be the muslin for the mint coloured pants - but now they have been promoted to prima donna item of the month and if I can get them done before boxing day my next item will be a top to go with it.

My big worry (so far) is that the greens don't match (the shorts and top). I don't have either fabric yet - both are winging their way to me as we speak - I told you I was fickle - saw fabric - *needed* fabric - bought fabric - changed plan. I will compare them when I get them and change the fabric for the top if need be.

I am thinking of calling it "Put the lime in the coconut and blueberry shake it all up"

It may have to move over and make way for some Animal Print in January too.

I know some of you are participating in the SWAP. What are your plans?

27 comments:

  1. Oh, I think that is a lovely SWAP! It is cohesive but still with lots of variety, some gorgeous styles and the name sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, what fabulous fabrics and patterns. The colors remind me of the seaside - such gorgeous combinations! I look forward to seeing them made up.

    I am tempted to join (and may do yet) - who doesn't love a challenge and a new mini-wardrobe!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BeaJay - well I think SWAP and Make a Garment a Month are very good bedfellows indeed - and add in whatever PR is doing too (must visit next and find out..).

    I love your plan board. I am not sure yet whether I will be seduced by SWAP...as you say, the plans are the fun bit. And then changing them. Seriously, I do hope you get at least some of your SWAP completed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that green print! Oh & the blues...well, pretty much all of it. Can't wait to see your version of that dress. Is there any chance you can list the pattern numbers cos I think I have that shirt pattern..the one with the blue "popsicle" print LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, I have re-posted the pic with the patterns listed. The "Popsicle" pattern (and now will forever be known as the Popsicle shirt LOL) is the StyleArc Brenda Blouse which was the freebie from August

      Delete
  5. There are some lovely fabrics there, nice palette of colours. Great planning. Really looking forward to seeing them transpire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fabric and pattern choices. I always want to do a SWAP, but I find I like the planning more than I like the actual sewing. One day.............

    Looking forward to seeing your new wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think all of the colors play well together. Aim for harmony, not matchy-matchy. =) I like your pattern choices, too. Are they all Style Arc? Well, maybe not all. I do recognize the McVoguerick dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne, yes your eye is good. You have sussed it out. Most are StyleArc with the exception of 3)

      Delete
    2. Bwahahaha. Reading is fundamental. Indeed each image does give the pattern name/number. =)

      Delete
    3. I completely missed that the first time around!

      Delete
    4. Your eyes are still good at picking out patterns. It wasn't there the first time around. I added it after questions about the patterns.

      Delete
    5. Aaaah. I thought I was going crazy. When I first read the post, I did so from my phone and thought the image didn't load completely. When I went back to view the image again and saw the patterns, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

      Delete
  8. I love your plan. I'm going to do the swap but still haven't committed to a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your colors look great together. I have way more plans than I ever could actually get around to (and I also constantly change my mind), but I agree with you that a lot of the fun of sewing is dreaming about what I want to make:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely plan, and it would look amazing on you too! This will be my 3rd attempt at SWAP, and haven't finished one yet, but it has progressed my wardrobe and it's much more cohesive now. Let's give it a try. Whether you complete all 11 garments doesn't make the win. Getting garments made that you love and will fit into your lifestyle really makes for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh, love this wardrobe planning. So beautiful colors can only give good results! I am anxious to see more of this ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. in the past SWAP wardrobe planning has been like catnip for me, but I've got out of practise in the past 3-4 years. For me this summer is all about summer dresses.

    I love the colours in your plan ... and the title :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all your choices of patterns and fabrics - looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have put together a fantastic plan and love the colours and the patterns. I know what you mean, I have my first 3 pack sorted but not sure what will happen after that :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your plans. All the fabric looks great. You'll have a very versatile wardrobe out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks lovely! Looking forward to seeing them all made up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you're very organized and I like your choice of patterns/fabrics ...
    I rarely make plans of what to sew, because I always end up with nothing sewn ... I really should be more organized ...
    Anyway, maybe one day ...

    Melani

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your SWAP looks great. I'll be eagerly awaiting the display of the pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am really ignorant. What is a "Swap"? Thanks. K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kajero, SWAP means sewing with a plan. Artisan's Square has given a plan of 3 x 3 "capsules" ie 2 tops and one bottom in 3 different looks plus 2 wild cards. This is the plan and we work what we want into it. I had to look up the meaning of SWAP when I first started sewing.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.